Thursday, January 28, 2016

Transgender Health Training is Happening at the University of Washington - as an Elective!

Jacqui Beck's "One to Another" makes me think about
the essence of education. Jacqui's paintings are featured in
my recent work Where's MY Book?
I have a University of Washington education: a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a Master's in Nursing, my MD degree, and my family practice residency all through the University of Washington!

But through all of that training, I scarcely heard a word about transgender health! Having done transgender medicine for 18 years and having written a book about it (Where's MY Book? A Guide for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth, Their Parents, & Everyone Else), it's important to me. Seattle is said to have the third largest transgender population in the US.

That's why it feels so great to participate for the third year in the UW School of Medicine's elective course on transgender medicine. Coordinated by Roberta Dalley, MD, and Gender Justice League Executive Director Dani Askini, the course is attended by primarily medical students. There are some folks from social work, public health, and perhaps nursing also.

Someday, this course - or parts of it - must be offered in the general curriculum of the UW School of Medicine. I look forward to the day when it's not simply an elective offering! And I look forward to the day when it's a requirement in all health education programs nationwide.

Take care,
Linda Gromko, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment